Updated Home Office Guide for Sponsors: Start Dates, Hours, and Salary

The Home Office has made some changes that companies supporting foreign workers should be aware of. The following changes took effect on November 9, 2022. change work start Once you are allowed to enter or reside in the UK, you are now able to work in sponsored employment. There is no need to wait for the start date listed on your Certificate of Sponsor (CoS). If your start date has been moved up after you have been granted permission to enter or reside in the UK, you do not need to report the change via the SMS system.

Considering working hours in a Defined Certificate of Sponsorship

The salary entered on a Defined CoS must genuinely reflect what the worker will be paid. Sponsors of skilled workers must therefore state the number of hours the individual will work each week in the “Summary of job description” text box, in the Defined CoS. 

Concessions for extended absences without pay

A concession has been added to the general information guidance to allow the continued employment of a person who has been absent from work without pay for more than four weeks. 

That is, provided that there is a compelling and compassionate reason for their absence, but where none of the exceptions (for example, statutory maternity or sick leave) apply. The four weeks do not have to be consecutive. For skilled workers, the rule is four weeks in any calendar year.

Including allowances in a salary

Only guaranteed basic gross pay should be included in the salary section of the CoS.

Other allowances, pay or benefits (even if guaranteed) will no longer be considered when assessing a worker’s level of pay. For example, pensions, shift allowances, accommodation, or cost of living allowances should not be included in the gross salary on the certificate of sponsorship.

Summing up the above-described updates, it is important to highlight that some of the updates provide a welcome break from extensive SMS reporting and are perhaps a reflection of an overwhelmed Home Office team, apparently inundated with new sponsor licence applications, as well as their other duties. 

However, sponsors should continue to read the Home Office guidelines and regularly refer to them correctly when applying for sponsorship certificates for their hired employees.

Like this article? Share on


Related articles

Information about our own complaints process, raising concerns to the Legal Ombudsman and to us

We want to give you the best possible service. However, if at any point you become unhappy or concerned about the service we provided then you should inform us immediately, so that we can do our best to resolve the problem.

In the first instance it may be helpful to contact the person who is working on your case to discuss your concerns and we will do our best to resolve any issues at this stage. If you would like to make a formal complaint, then you can read our full complaints procedure here. Making a complaint will not affect how we handle your case.

The Solicitors Regulation Authority can help you if you are concerned about our behaviour. This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic. 

You can raise your concerns with the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

What do to if we cannot resolve your complaint

The Legal Ombudsman can help you if we are unable to resolve your complaint ourselves. They will look at your complaint independently and it will not affect how we handle your case.

Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:

  • Within six months of receiving our final response to your complaint; and,
  • Within one year of the date of the act or omission about which you are concerned; or
  • Within one year of you realising that there was a concern.


If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman, you can contact them at the following details:

 Contact details

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By closing this message, you consent to our cookies on this device in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.