Short-term work on a visit visa

British businesses have long relied on workers from the European Union to come in for short or medium-term projects. Before Brexit, this was frictionless from an immigration perspective. People arrived, people worked, people left and businesses were happy.

EU free movement ended (for the UK) on 31 December 2020, but the impact was largely masked by the pandemic which struck Europe weeks later. With borders and workplaces now opening back up, businesses are being confronted with post-free movement realities.

The first instinct is to turn to the Points Based Immigration System for sponsoring workers. But while sponsorship is fine for businesses that wish to employ foreign staff long term, it is expensive and unwieldy in situations where overseas workers are needed for a matter of weeks or months rather than years.

For some businesses, rather than investing in a sponsor licence, the solution may in fact lie in the UK’s visit visa rules. This will be somewhat surprising, given that the first and second rules of Visit Club are “you do not work on a visit visa”. That starting point is, however, qualified by the permitted activities for visitors, some of which are work-related.

Buried in the permitted activities is a seldom-used rule called PA 7. It permits an employee of a foreign manufacturer or supplier of goods to work in the UK on a standard visit visa in order to fulfil a contract of purchase, supply or lease. But the way the rule was drafted up to now, it only helped if there was a two-party relationship. What if specialist labour for installation is supplied by a third party?

As of 6 October 2021, PA 7 has been amended. It now reads as follows:

An employee of an overseas company may install, dismantle, repair, service or advise on machinery, equipment, computer software or hardware (or train UK based workers to provide these services) where there is a contract of purchase, supply or lease with a UK company or organisation and either: 

(a) the overseas company is the manufacturer or supplier; or 

(b) the overseas company is part of a contractual arrangement for after sales services agreed at the time of the sale or lease, including in a warranty or other service contract incidental to the sale or lease.

The addition of part (b) expressly opens up work on a visit visa to three-way contracts where one foreign company manufactures or supplies the goods or equipment, and a separate foreign company provides the specialist labour to install it.

To take advantage of this, the third party installer must specifically be written into the contract for after-sales service agreed at the time of sale.

As this is a new rule, the Home Office will likely issue guidance on its interpretation in due course. Taking the revised wording at face value, though, it is a simple change with a potentially big impact: foreign workers can undertake certain projects for UK companies without having to be sponsored or directly employed.

Like this article? Share on


Related articles

Information about our own complaints process, raising concerns to the Legal Ombudsman and to us

We want to give you the best possible service. However, if at any point you become unhappy or concerned about the service we provided then you should inform us immediately, so that we can do our best to resolve the problem.

In the first instance it may be helpful to contact the person who is working on your case to discuss your concerns and we will do our best to resolve any issues at this stage. If you would like to make a formal complaint, then you can read our full complaints procedure here. Making a complaint will not affect how we handle your case.

The Solicitors Regulation Authority can help you if you are concerned about our behaviour. This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic. 

You can raise your concerns with the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

What do to if we cannot resolve your complaint

The Legal Ombudsman can help you if we are unable to resolve your complaint ourselves. They will look at your complaint independently and it will not affect how we handle your case.

Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:

  • Within six months of receiving our final response to your complaint; and,
  • Within one year of the date of the act or omission about which you are concerned; or
  • Within one year of you realising that there was a concern.


If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman, you can contact them at the following details:

 Contact details

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By closing this message, you consent to our cookies on this device in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.