Possession – Landlord and Tenant Law

As every landlord knows, the biggest fear when letting out a property is that a tenant suddenly stops paying rent and is not contactable, whilst you still have to pay a mortgage without the income you relied on to pay it.

As soon as this happens, landlords want to take the property back, so it can be re-let. However, the English courts can be slow and frustrating – to get an order for possession, the correct procedures must be followed, otherwise the court can throw your claim out or delay it.

Residential Property – Evicting a Tenant

Under English law there are different routes available for commercial property landlords vis a vis residential property landlords.

Most residential property landlords will allow a tenant some delay in rent payment, but repeated failure to pay rent is normally what triggers the eviction process. Landlords still need to be careful  because failure to follow the correct process can result in a tenant’s claim for unlawful eviction and is potentially a criminal offence.

The main steps in any residential property possession are:

  1. Serving a notice on the tenant making it clear you want the property back;
  2. Filing a claim for possession at the county court;
  3. Attending a court hearing for possession; and,
  4. Enforcing the court order for possession.

As solicitors, the tenancy agreement is what we look at first to consider what the rights and responsibilities of both landlords and tenants are. Nowadays most short-term residential tenancy agreements are ‘Assured Shorthold Tenancies’. These typically result in the landlord serve one of two types of notice under the Housing Act 1988:

1.  A Section 8 Notice

  • This notice can be served any time during a tenancy;
  • The notice period is 14 days;
  • It can relate to mandatory or discretionary grounds (such as rent arrears, breach of the tenancy terms or antisocial behaviour), so depending on the breaches by the tenant, the court will have a choice about whether or not to grant a possession order; and,
  • For grounds like rent arrears, the requirements must be met on the day of the hearing, so a tenant can pay enough for the arrears to drop below the threshold and avoid a possession order. 

2. A Section 21 Notice

  • This is a ‘no fault’ route. The landlord does not need to show the tenant has done anything wrong;
  • The notice period is 2 months;
  • The Court can issue an accelerated possession order, without a hearing;
  • The claim has to be issued within 6 months of the notice being served.

If the tenant does not leave even after the court orders possession, we can assist you in instructing bailiffs to re-enter the property and enforce the court order.

This article contains only a summary of the law and should not be relied on as an advice. If you want to recover possession of your property or have any landlord and tenant dispute, we will be happy to act for you. Contact LF Legal today on 0203 146 3549 / info@lflegal.co.uk

Like this article? Share on


Related articles

Information about our own complaints process, raising concerns to the Legal Ombudsman and to us

We want to give you the best possible service. However, if at any point you become unhappy or concerned about the service we provided then you should inform us immediately, so that we can do our best to resolve the problem.

In the first instance it may be helpful to contact the person who is working on your case to discuss your concerns and we will do our best to resolve any issues at this stage. If you would like to make a formal complaint, then you can read our full complaints procedure here. Making a complaint will not affect how we handle your case.

The Solicitors Regulation Authority can help you if you are concerned about our behaviour. This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic. 

You can raise your concerns with the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

What do to if we cannot resolve your complaint

The Legal Ombudsman can help you if we are unable to resolve your complaint ourselves. They will look at your complaint independently and it will not affect how we handle your case.

Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:

  • Within six months of receiving our final response to your complaint; and,
  • Within one year of the date of the act or omission about which you are concerned; or
  • Within one year of you realising that there was a concern.


If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman, you can contact them at the following details:

 Contact details

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By closing this message, you consent to our cookies on this device in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.