Part II: Are you owed money?

Last week, we looked at two options available to recover money owed to you: court proceedings and statutory demands. This week, we look at alternative dispute resolution options and analyze the court options in more detail.

Alternative Dispute Resolution (commonly referred to as ADR)

As solicitors, we do not recommend you immediately rush to start court proceedings because they can sometimes be complicated and expensive. Instead, you first need to consider if any type of ADR might work better (or at least cost less) than court action. The main type of ADR is negotiation or mediation. The courts encourage this.

Where an individual owes money to a business, the Court rules encourage negotiation and compromise before court proceedings begin. Certain information must be given to an individual person who owes money (called the debtor) by a business before the business can bring a court action. The debtor has 30 days to reply. If the debtor agrees to pay but asks for staggered payments, the business must try to reach an agreement for reasonable repayment by installments. What is reasonable is based on the debtor’s financial circumstances. If a business does not want to accept staggered payments, it must explain why in writing.

Generally speaking, even when a debtor is not a person (as opposed to a business), Court rules try to encourage settlement by negotiation or mediation before court proceedings are started.

Mediation is a process where an impartial independent party trained to deal with difficult disputes, listens to both sides and tries to find a resolution both can live with.

With business debts where there is an underlying dispute or long-standing relationship that should be preserved, mediation can be commercially beneficial because it is often cheaper than court proceedings. Mediations are only legally binding once the parties agree a settlement, so it can be worthwhile trying this process if the debt is likely to be disputed in court. 

Court Options

Most debt claims are for money only. The amount owed affects which court can deal with it.

If the value of a case is not more than £10,000 and it is not complex, it will generally be placed into the small claims track. This means a claim could be started online, the court fees will be lower, and the hearing will be listed usually within 6 months. The court process also includes a free of charge attempt to settle the debt through telephone mediation. Whilst you could still claim interest and late payment charges for the debt, the main disadvantage of this track is that the court does not award the successful party its costs, except court fees.

If your debt claim is worth £10,000 to £25,000, it will usually be allocated to the fast-track. Despite that name, such claims can take a year or more to reach a hearing. Claims over £25,000 are usually allocated to the multi-track and are often complex, taking around 2 years to be heard. The main advantage of these routes is that if you win, you normally recover around two-thirds of your costs.

If you are owed money or facing a debt claim, contact LF Legal for advice on 0203 146 3549 /


All our articles are intended for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. It is recommended that specific professional advice is sought before acting on any of the information provided.

Like this article? Share on


Related articles

Information about our own complaints process, raising concerns to the Legal Ombudsman and to us

We want to give you the best possible service. However, if at any point you become unhappy or concerned about the service we provided then you should inform us immediately, so that we can do our best to resolve the problem.

In the first instance it may be helpful to contact the person who is working on your case to discuss your concerns and we will do our best to resolve any issues at this stage. If you would like to make a formal complaint, then you can read our full complaints procedure here. Making a complaint will not affect how we handle your case.

The Solicitors Regulation Authority can help you if you are concerned about our behaviour. This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic. 

You can raise your concerns with the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

What do to if we cannot resolve your complaint

The Legal Ombudsman can help you if we are unable to resolve your complaint ourselves. They will look at your complaint independently and it will not affect how we handle your case.

Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:

  • Within six months of receiving our final response to your complaint; and,
  • Within one year of the date of the act or omission about which you are concerned; or
  • Within one year of you realising that there was a concern.


If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman, you can contact them at the following details:

 Contact details

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By closing this message, you consent to our cookies on this device in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.