Offering food and drink to customers

One of the ways that shop-owners are fighting back against online retailers is by offering complementary food and drink to their customers.  But what are the legal and regulatory implications of doing this?

Whilst you may think the answer is ‘none’, there are a number of different matters to consider and a lot depends on what you plan to serve, where and at what time. Here are some of the matters that could apply to you:

Local Authority Licences

You will normally need prior permission from your local authority to:

  • Offer hot food (both complementary and paid for)
  • Offer paid for cold food
  • Offer alcoholic drinks (both complementary and paid for)
  • Regularly offer food and / or drinks after 9 pm (occasional evening events are okay)

Planning Permission

You may need local authority planning approval if you are physically altering your shop so you can supply the food and drink.  Whether you need such approval depends on the extent of your planned works.

Change of Class of Use Permission

Commercial buildings are divided into various categories known as ‘Use Classes’.  Depending on the extent to which you wish to offer the food and drink, you may need to approach the local authority for permission to change your current Use Class.

Landlord’s Permission

If you have a landlord, you would need to check whether your lease / licence allows you to offer food and drink and whether prior consent is required for any changes to the property.  If consent is required from your landlord, there is usually a cost involved in getting it and you will need to factor this in to your plans. 


Check the terms of any insurance policies to check whether any notifications need to be given to insurers to ensure continued coverage.

Employment Contracts

If any existing employee is now required to stock/prepare/serve food and drinks, and such new services are significantly different from their current responsibilities, then the new duties may constitute a change in their contract of employment.

Changing an employee’s job description could be a major change (depending on the circumstances). If so, depending on the contract terms, their approval is most likely going to be required. If they do not give consent but you force them to undertake the new duties anyway, you could be in breach of their contract of employment.

Health and Safety

Shop owners are under a general duty to provide a safe environment for their customers, visitors and staff. Implementing food and drink facilities must be done in a safe and healthy way. Storage must also be done safely and hygienically, especially if the food or drink are perishable or can make people ill if stored incorrectly (e.g. chicken and salmon).

As you can see from the above, there are a wide range of matters that should be considered in these situations. Contact LF Legal for further advice on 0203 146 3549 /

Like this article? Share on


Related articles

Information about our own complaints process, raising concerns to the Legal Ombudsman and to us

We want to give you the best possible service. However, if at any point you become unhappy or concerned about the service we provided then you should inform us immediately, so that we can do our best to resolve the problem.

In the first instance it may be helpful to contact the person who is working on your case to discuss your concerns and we will do our best to resolve any issues at this stage. If you would like to make a formal complaint, then you can read our full complaints procedure here. Making a complaint will not affect how we handle your case.

The Solicitors Regulation Authority can help you if you are concerned about our behaviour. This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic. 

You can raise your concerns with the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

What do to if we cannot resolve your complaint

The Legal Ombudsman can help you if we are unable to resolve your complaint ourselves. They will look at your complaint independently and it will not affect how we handle your case.

Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:

  • Within six months of receiving our final response to your complaint; and,
  • Within one year of the date of the act or omission about which you are concerned; or
  • Within one year of you realising that there was a concern.


If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman, you can contact them at the following details:

 Contact details

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By closing this message, you consent to our cookies on this device in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.