New independent complaint investigation service launched by Home Office

The Home Office has launched a new independent complaint investigation service. If you are currently dissatisfied with the Home Office’s final response to your complaint, you can file a further complaint with the Independent Examiner of Complaints (IEC). However, complaints will only be considered under certain conditions. When you receive a final reply explaining that if you are not satisfied with the results, you can refer it to the Office of an Independent Complaints Examiner. Communication must be made within three months of receiving the final response to the complaint. Complaints relating to certain business areas may be considered, including UK visa and immigration enforcement border force Detention and escort services HM Passport Office Complaints may relate to delays or errors, poor service or advice, or failure to follow correct procedures. There are some circumstances in which we cannot handle complaints. This includes the right of review or appeal if a Home Office decision is or is subject to judicial review or other legal process or falls within the Windrush Compensation Scheme. including if you have Complaints can be made at the following address:

Like this article? Share on


Related articles

Information about our own complaints process, raising concerns to the Legal Ombudsman and to us

We want to give you the best possible service. However, if at any point you become unhappy or concerned about the service we provided then you should inform us immediately, so that we can do our best to resolve the problem.

In the first instance it may be helpful to contact the person who is working on your case to discuss your concerns and we will do our best to resolve any issues at this stage. If you would like to make a formal complaint, then you can read our full complaints procedure here. Making a complaint will not affect how we handle your case.

The Solicitors Regulation Authority can help you if you are concerned about our behaviour. This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic. 

You can raise your concerns with the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

What do to if we cannot resolve your complaint

The Legal Ombudsman can help you if we are unable to resolve your complaint ourselves. They will look at your complaint independently and it will not affect how we handle your case.

Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:

  • Within six months of receiving our final response to your complaint; and,
  • Within one year of the date of the act or omission about which you are concerned; or
  • Within one year of you realising that there was a concern.


If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman, you can contact them at the following details:

 Contact details

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By closing this message, you consent to our cookies on this device in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.