Judicial Review

The talk of this week’s press is Judicial Review. Women across the country took to express their support with a landmark case that was heard at the High Court on Wednesday (5 June 2019). Women in their 50s and 60 have been protesting to show their support of a case to overturn rules that have raised the women’s pension age by as much as six years. The Judicial Review, which was sought by the campaign group BackTo60, shall decide if the increase – from 60 years to 66 – has been done fairly.

What is Judicial Review?

Judicial Review is a type of court proceeding in which a judge reviews the lawfulness of a decision or action made by a public body. However, a Judicial Review can only challenge the way a decision has been made (whether the right procedure was followed), not whether the decision was “right”. The court will not substitute what it thinks is the ‘correct’ decision. This may mean that the public body will be able to make the same decision again, so long as it does so in a procedurally and legally correct way.

Judicial Review of immigration decisions in the UK

Since the Home Office is a public body, an immigration decision may also be eligible for Judicial Review if it was illegal, irrational, or unfair and you have exercised all your appeal rights. Since the Immigration Act 2014, appeal rights against Home Office immigration decisions have been radically reduced. This has led to an increase and significance of Judicial Review proceedings in the immigration context in the past few years.

When is the right time to consider initiating Judicial Review proceedings?

  • Your immigration application has been refused and you have no right of appeal on human rights grounds;
  • If you have been refused permission to appeal at the Upper Tribunal;
  • If your further submissions have been rejected as not a fresh claim, with no right of appeal;
  • If you have been told your asylum claim will be transferred to another European country under the Dublin regulations, and you wish to argue your human rights will be breached in that country;
  • If your asylum claim has been certified (no right of appeal within the UK);
  • If you have been detained unlawfully; or,
  • To try and challenge an imminent removal.

If, however you want to argue that a Home Office decision was incorrect, Judicial Review may not be your best option and you should seek alternative remedies, such as appealing against the decision to a higher court.

How long do I have to bring a claim?

A Judicial Review claim must be filed/lodged as soon as possible and, in any event, within 3 months of the decision that is being challenged.

Judicial Reviews are very complicated, and time is always crucial. If you need legal advice on this or any immigration matter, please get in touch with us today on 0203 146 3549 / e:mail: info@lflegal.co.uk.


All our articles are intended for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. It is recommended that specific professional advice is sought before acting on any of the information provided.

Like this article? Share on


Related articles

Information about our own complaints process, raising concerns to the Legal Ombudsman and to us

We want to give you the best possible service. However, if at any point you become unhappy or concerned about the service we provided then you should inform us immediately, so that we can do our best to resolve the problem.

In the first instance it may be helpful to contact the person who is working on your case to discuss your concerns and we will do our best to resolve any issues at this stage. If you would like to make a formal complaint, then you can read our full complaints procedure here. Making a complaint will not affect how we handle your case.

The Solicitors Regulation Authority can help you if you are concerned about our behaviour. This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic. 

You can raise your concerns with the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

What do to if we cannot resolve your complaint

The Legal Ombudsman can help you if we are unable to resolve your complaint ourselves. They will look at your complaint independently and it will not affect how we handle your case.

Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:

  • Within six months of receiving our final response to your complaint; and,
  • Within one year of the date of the act or omission about which you are concerned; or
  • Within one year of you realising that there was a concern.


If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman, you can contact them at the following details:

 Contact details

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By closing this message, you consent to our cookies on this device in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.