Immigration Skills Charge updated list of exemptions

An amendment to the Immigration Skills Charge Regulations 2017 is due to come into force on 1 January 2023.

The current rules state that UK businesses sponsoring overseas workers, subject to certain exemptions, must pay a charge each time a certificate of sponsorship is assigned to that worker.

The amendment adds to the list of exemptions under which one is not required to pay such a charge. Businesses that bring EU citizens to the UK under certain visa routes will, from 1 January 2023, not have to pay the Immigration Skills Charge. The exemption applies to those entering the UK under the Scale-up route or intra-corporate transferees on the Global Business Mobility – Senior or Specialist Worker route.

We would like to remind that under the current list of exemptions, a UK business will not have to pay the charge if –

  1. It is sponsoring someone with one of the following occupation codes:
  • chemical scientists (2111)
  • biological scientists and biochemists (2112)
  • physical scientists (2113)
  • social and humanities scientists (2114)
  • natural and social science professionals not elsewhere classified (2119)
  • research and development managers (2150)
  • higher education teaching professionals (2311)
  • clergy (2444)
  • sports players (3441)
  • sports coaches, instructors or officials (3442)
  1. It is sponsoring a worker who was assigned a sponsorship certificate before 6 April 2017.
  2. Employees switch to either a Skilled Worker or Senior or Specialist Worker visa and then extend their stay on the new visa.
  3. A new certificate of sponsorship does not extend the time on employee’s sponsored worker’s visa.

We would also like to remind our readers that the Immigration Skills Charge is an additional charge which a UK company has to pay when it assigns a certificate of sponsorship to someone applying for a work-related visa.

Like this article? Share on


Related articles

Information about our own complaints process, raising concerns to the Legal Ombudsman and to us

We want to give you the best possible service. However, if at any point you become unhappy or concerned about the service we provided then you should inform us immediately, so that we can do our best to resolve the problem.

In the first instance it may be helpful to contact the person who is working on your case to discuss your concerns and we will do our best to resolve any issues at this stage. If you would like to make a formal complaint, then you can read our full complaints procedure here. Making a complaint will not affect how we handle your case.

The Solicitors Regulation Authority can help you if you are concerned about our behaviour. This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic. 

You can raise your concerns with the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

What do to if we cannot resolve your complaint

The Legal Ombudsman can help you if we are unable to resolve your complaint ourselves. They will look at your complaint independently and it will not affect how we handle your case.

Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:

  • Within six months of receiving our final response to your complaint; and,
  • Within one year of the date of the act or omission about which you are concerned; or
  • Within one year of you realising that there was a concern.


If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman, you can contact them at the following details:

 Contact details

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By closing this message, you consent to our cookies on this device in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.