HMRC challenges UK VAT status of online traders

HMRC will contact businesses believed to be non-established taxable persons (NETPs) for VAT purposes. The business will then have 30 days to challenge HMRC’s decision.

HMRC will send a one-to-many letter from late January 2024 to businesses that it believes are NETPs (non-established taxable persons) for UK VAT purposes.

The businesses targeted are likely to be those using either an agent or serviced office address as their place of registration.  

In the letter, HMRC asks the business to provide evidence that it is established in the UK for VAT purposes if it disagrees that it is a NETP (non-established taxable person).  

HMRC states that, to be established in the UK for VAT purposes, the business must meet at least one of the tests below. 

  • It makes essential management decisions and carries out its main administration in the UK.
  • It has a permanent physical presence in the UK, with human and technical resources to make or receive taxable supplies. 

UK incorporation does not automatically mean that a business is established in the UK. 

HMRC is primarily sending the letters to businesses that trade on online marketplaces.

Having NETP (non-established taxable person) status means that the marketplace will typically collect output VAT on the business’ supplies and pay it directly to HMRC.

NETPs (non-established taxable persons) that make supplies in the UK need to be registered for VAT, even if their turnover is below the £85,000 registration turnover threshold. 

If the business disagrees with HMRC, it needs to submit the relevant evidence within 30 days of the date of the letter.

As some of the decision-makers involved in the business may be based outside of the UK, any agents receiving these letters on behalf of their clients should consult with the client as soon as possible.

The letter also sets out the procedure required to request a review of HMRC’s decision, or to appeal to an independent tribunal.  

Like this article? Share on


Related articles

Information about our own complaints process, raising concerns to the Legal Ombudsman and to us

We want to give you the best possible service. However, if at any point you become unhappy or concerned about the service we provided then you should inform us immediately, so that we can do our best to resolve the problem.

In the first instance it may be helpful to contact the person who is working on your case to discuss your concerns and we will do our best to resolve any issues at this stage. If you would like to make a formal complaint, then you can read our full complaints procedure here. Making a complaint will not affect how we handle your case.

The Solicitors Regulation Authority can help you if you are concerned about our behaviour. This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic. 

You can raise your concerns with the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

What do to if we cannot resolve your complaint

The Legal Ombudsman can help you if we are unable to resolve your complaint ourselves. They will look at your complaint independently and it will not affect how we handle your case.

Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:

  • Within six months of receiving our final response to your complaint; and,
  • Within one year of the date of the act or omission about which you are concerned; or
  • Within one year of you realising that there was a concern.


If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman, you can contact them at the following details:

 Contact details

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By closing this message, you consent to our cookies on this device in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.